Friday, June 28, 2024

Red Berries in the Snow

It was an extremely cold December morning in the year 2010 when I landed in one of the busiest airports in the world, London Heathrow International. The assignment was a requirement gathering session that was expected to last for a month for the client Travelodge. Far from the hustle and bustle of London, the taxi from the airport took me to a lovely small town called Thame where I was to spend the next one month before heading back home.

Travelodge, being in the hospitality industry, was where I stayed as well. Their head office was right across the road and was a mere ten minutes’ walk from the hotel. The location itself was a cosy combination of the hotel and a gas station complimented by a Burger King next door.

It became my routine for the next few days to leave the hotel, walk past the gas station and cross over to the other side of the road passing a roundabout and then reach the office, the approach road of which was lined with a row of trees. Being exposed to my coldest winter ever, most often than not I was walking with a warm jacket tucked close to my chest and my teeth chattering in the bone chilling cold. This was even after wearing a layer of thermals under the heavy jacket. It was COLD indeed, bold, and underlined.

A few days went by in this manner. One morning, as I got up and parted the curtain in my room, I saw the whole area outside turned white. It was snowing! My first ever snow in life. I was ecstatic to say the least. The walks to office continued. The snow could not deter my spirit of professional call of duty. Deep inside me I did not want to miss a single moment of this first in my lifetime experience of being in the snow.

The path to office didn’t change either, only difference being the white snow covering the entire stretch. The route next to the gas station, the footpath across the roundabout and the final stretch to the office, everything was covered in a white blanket that seemed to welcome me with open arms. It felt as though nature was welcoming me, but instead of a red carpet a white one was being rolled out.

There was one big difference though. As I was walking past the row of trees, I noticed a bunch of red berries on them clothed in snow. It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen in my life. I asked someone in my office what those berries were. They said it was an edible variety and quite a tasty one that too, but once it snows you can’t have them since the texture changes, and it no longer became edible. As strange as it felt, I wonder why I never noticed them before, as they were apparently always there but it completely missed my sight. Unfortunately, till the end of my assignment in Thame, it continued to snow, and the taste of those berries remain elusive for me.

That is when it dawned on me. These berries are like the blessings in our life which are right in front of our eyes, but we fail to see them. They come in all forms and shapes. It could be a friend who is always there for you, but you never acknowledged them, or a facility offered by your company which you took for granted.

There are tonnes of these blessings hanging around us which we just zip past through since they are not clothed in anything at present. But a day will arrive when these blessings get impacted one way or other. Your friends may migrate to a different city, and you truly miss them since there is no one like them around. You may shift jobs and then realize how people friendly were the policies of your previous organization, but you were complaining then. All these are akin to the berries clothed with the snow which you can’t enjoy anymore. You look back and regret your past with a sigh.

Wake up, it isn’t late still! Hope and faith are two magical beings which still drive the world forward. As long as you are around in this beautiful world, take a moment to stop, look around and appreciate the berries alias blessings around you. Be grateful to people and situations that bring you these blessings. Do not wait till the snow clothes them for you to have a late realization.

Let there be snow, but you still reminisce the delightful taste of red berries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back in Time - A breath-taking journey through UK!

I love reading and I distinctly remember my school days when a wonderful world of fantasy unveiling in my mind through all the animated seri...