Saturday, August 8, 2026

Conquering my fear!

Unlike the previous years, as a family we decided to return to Dubai after a short vacation back home in Kerala. Summer holidays for kids continued and the school was meant to reopen by end of August. Since we could not do much on the weekdays, we all looked forward to the weekends to have our special time together as a family. We usually found an attraction or an experience we never had in the past and the excitement of going somewhere new always filled the air on Saturday mornings.

Today was not different. We decided to pay a visit to Mountain Extreme, the largest indoor climbing and bouldering gym in Dubai. Both our kids were super excited at the prospect of climbing the heights and having lots of fun. We reached the place around noon. After a quick registration, we got into our climbing gear with safety harness and special climbing shoes. It was followed by safety instructions to ensure that we understood the dos and don’ts of this extreme sport.

Soon after the briefing was completed, the instructor showed a demo of how to safely climb up and slide down. All of us started climbing one by one. Though I had done this many years ago during my visit to an adventure park, it felt quite a strain in the initial minutes, probably due to lack of exercise or reduced exposure to such extreme sports in the recent past. Having said that, kids seemed to be quite a natural when it came to mountain climbing.

A few attempts into the climb, I managed to reach halfway the wall. While the climb was strenuous, I could attain considerable heights. But there was one area I struggled. Once I reached a point where I decided it was better to slide down, I found an inertia to leave the grip on the wall and allow the auto belay, the supporting rope system to take me down in a controlled manner. Though I did let the auto belay do its job, I guess, I did not fully trust the mechanism. This ended up me experiencing a rough sliding each time I came down.

After a few hours and multiple attempts, I almost decided that I am good at climbing and even reached the top, but not that good at sliding down. My fear of sliding down got the better of me. I even declared that I am done with all the climbing and was mentally ready to return home accepting the fact that I am not good at sliding down.

While a bit dejected, I sat down to wait for my kids to finish their rounds. My ten-year-old little one, continued to climb up and slide down like a pro. Watching her made me feel even more disheartened since I was wondering if my little daughter could do something like that, I should be able to do that as well. I waited for her to come down from top and checked with her how she did the sliding down so effortlessly. She advised me how it was done.

I decided not to succumb to the fear. I connected the harness again and climbed up the wall. Reached halfway and followed the exact advice given by my daughter. It worked wonderfully! I was so excited that I climbed a few more times and each time the slide down was better than before.

The trip home was something akin to a General who won an impossible battle. There will always be fears in our lives that we will face. Many of us will try to conquer them, with some succeeding and others failing. Look around, find ways of winning from others, irrespective of how accomplished they are. We will never know who could be the one to motivate us towards our success.

To fear is human, to conquer that is divine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conquering my fear!

Unlike the previous years, as a family we decided to return to Dubai after a short vacation back home in Kerala. Summer holidays for kids co...